Experience 7 Weeks in Beautiful Costa Rica
Travel expands our understanding of the world and its people and creates opportunity for significant life change. Oh, and it's really fun too. During our time in Costa Rica we will live, learn, serve, explore and worship among, and with, the local "Ticos". Here is a glimpse at the plans we are working on:
While in Costa Rica, KURIOS is partnering with Canadian Baptist Ministries (CBM) and will be hosted by two of their incredible field staff David and Suzannah Nacho. We will be living primarily in three locations: San Jose (inland), Samara (coastal), and at a Baptist Camp (just outside of San Jose). Plans are underway for each participant to experience a 1-2 week home stay with a Costa Rican family as well.
Local instructors will be guiding participants through one module of the CETI Program (Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies) focused on the Church. We will be challenged to broaden our understanding of who the people of God are, and are to be, as we study the church from a Latin American perspective and integrate that with our understanding. There will be countless other learning opportunities along the way.
Here are just a few of the many serving opportunities we are exploring for KURIOS participants in Costa Rica:
- Assist in leading kids and youth camps
- Partner with local churches in their ongoing ministries
- Volunteer at a San Jose orphanage
- Participate in various tourism based ministries
- Join with local community outreach ministries already ongoing
We will be privileged to worship alongside many different churches and ministries during the 7 weeks. This will include Sunday services, youth group gatherings, community events and more.
Costa Rica combines vast natural beauty and vibrant culture. Participants will feel like they've experienced the "real" Costa Rica by the end of the 7 weeks. Our local hosts are planning guided day trips and overnight adventures including things like:
- City Life
- Beach Trips
- And more...
I don't speak Spanish. Is that ok?
- Absolutely! We will be learning some basic Spanish before departing and will usually have an interpreter with us. (Many Costa Rican's also know at least some English)
Is the water safe to drink?
- Yes! Costa Rica is the only Central American country with potable drinking water (that means it's safe).
Does the time in Costa Rica cost extra?
- No. The entire 7 weeks, including flights, is included in the KURIOS fee. Participants will want to bring some extra money along for souvenirs, snacks, etc.
What do I need to have in order to travel?
- All participants will need a valid passport. It is also highly recommended that everyone visit their doctor to receive any necessary vaccinations. Travel medical insurance will be purchased on behalf of each participant.
Where can I find out more information about Costa Rica?
- Check out Costa Rica's official tourism website here