Experience 6 Weeks in Beautiful GUATEMALA
Travel expands our understanding of the world and its people and creates opportunity for significant life change. Oh, and it's really fun too. During our time in Guatemala we will live, learn, serve, explore and worship among, and with, the local people. Here is a glimpse at the plans we are working on:
While in Guatemala, KURIOS is partnering with Canadian Baptist Ministries (CBM) and will be hosted by CBM field staff Bruno and Kathleen Soucy. We will be living primarily at a Baptist Camp on beautiful Lake Atitlan (see above). Plans are underway for each participant to experience language and cultural immersion through a 1 week home stay with a Guatemalan family. We are also planning a week in the historic city of Antigua.
Being in Central America will challenge us to broaden our understanding of who the people of God are, and are to be, as we study and serve in a Latin American context. Travel teaches us a lot about ourselves, and broadens our worldview.
We will join local churches in the Lake Atitlan region, serving alongside them in their existing ministries. Here are just a few of the many serving opportunities we are exploring for KURIOS participants in Guatemala:
- Assist in leading kids and youth ministries
- Partner with local churches in their outreach and justice work
- Work on nutrition and health initiatives
We will be privileged to worship alongside many different churches and ministries during the 6 weeks. This will include Sunday services, youth group gatherings, community events and more.
Guatemala combines vast natural beauty and vibrant culture. Participants will feel like they've experienced the "real" Guatemala by the end of the 6 weeks. Our local hosts are planning guided day trips and overnight adventures including things like:
Mayan Ruins, Hiking, City Life, Beach Trips and more...
I don't speak Spanish. Is that ok?
- Absolutely! We will be learning some basic Spanish before departing and will usually have an interpreter with us. (Many Guatemalan's also know at least some English)
Is Guatemala safe?
- Yes! Our partners live and work there, and are very familiar with the people, region, and risks. They are experienced in planning safe trips for teams like us. We are in great hands with Canadian Baptist Ministries!
Does the time in Guatemala cost extra?
- No. The entire 6 weeks, including flights, is included in the KURIOS fee. Participants will want to bring some extra money along for souvenirs, snacks, etc.
What do I need to have in order to travel?
- All participants will need a valid passport. It is also highly recommended that everyone visit their doctor to receive any necessary vaccinations. Travel medical insurance will be purchased on behalf of each participant.