Experience 5+ Weeks in Beautiful GUATEMALA
Travel expands our understanding of the world and its people and creates opportunity for significant life change. Oh, and it's really fun too. During our time in Guatemala we will live, learn, serve, explore and worship among, and with, the local people. Here is a glimpse at the plans we are working on:
While in Guatemala, KURIOS is partnering with Canadian Baptist Ministries (CBM) and will be hosted by CBM field staff Byron Velasquez and Bruno and Kathleen Soucy. We will be living in homestays and a camp on beautiful Lake Atitlan (see above), and spending time in Guatemala city. We will experience language and cultural immersion by living with local families. We can promise you will make a whole bunch of new friends!
Being in Central America will challenge us to broaden our understanding of who the people of God are, and are to be, as we study and serve in a Latin American context. We go primarily as learners. We will meet pastors and ministry leaders and learn about their mission and context. We will learn approaches to community development and how to use local resources, and put those into practice through guided project creation and implemenation. We learn a lot about ourselves, and about God's broad and beautiful world.
We will join local churches in the Lake Atitlan and Guatemala City region, serving alongside them in their existing ministries. KURIOS participants in Guatemala have the opportunity to:
- Assist in leading kids and youth ministries, including teaching English
- Create and implement a community development project
- Visit families in their homes and pray with them
- Partner with local churches in their outreach and justice work
- Lead environmental projects
We will be privileged to worship alongside many different churches and ministries during the 5+ weeks. This will include Sunday services, youth group gatherings, community events and more.
Guatemala combines vast natural beauty and vibrant culture. Participants will feel like they've experienced the "real" Guatemala by the end of the 5+ weeks. We will kayak, hike volcanoes, experience historic Antigua, meet Mayan people, and drink coffee farmed, roasted, and brewed by individual growers!
I don't speak Spanish. Is that ok?
- Absolutely! We will be learning some basic Spanish during our first week, and will usually have an interpreter with us. (Many Guatemalan's also know at least some English).
Is Guatemala safe?
- Yes! Our partners live and work there, and are very familiar with the people, region, and risks. They are experienced in planning safe trips for teams like us. We are in great hands with Canadian Baptist Ministries!
What does the Guatemala experience cost?
- Our 2024 budget is $3750 per person for the entire 5+ weeks. Kurios staff will help participants raise these funds, and all of the cost is eligible for a Canadian charitable tax receipt. Follow the 2023/24 campaign here.
What do I need to have in order to travel?
- All participants will need a valid passport. You will also need to consult a health care provider to receive any necessary vaccinations. Travel medical insurance will be purchased on behalf of each participant.
CHECK OUT HIGHLIGHTS OF KURIOS IN GUATEMALA IN 2023!!!